ASSISTANT GARDEN EDUCATOR, TEMPORARY
Reports To: Program Director
Site Supervisor: Middle School Garden Educator
Hours: 15 hours per week, March 1 through May 9
Schedule: Mon-Thurs, 2-5 pm, plus flexible gardening hours
Site: Asbury Corner (9743 E. 66thStreet, Tulsa,OK )
Position Description: The Assistant Garden Educator provides support for the after-school program at Asbury Corner. The Assistant Garden Educator takes a child-centered, inquiry-based approach to program facilitation that fosters confidence and problem-solving skills, promotes peace and healthy eating, and allows students to be empowered through discovery.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide garden-focused instruction for students in grade 6
- Collaborate with Garden Educator to design and deliver lesson plans that focus on scientific inquiry, self-discovery, social skills, healthy eating, conflict resolution and cultural awareness.
- Encourage student enthusiasm for and ownership of the learning process.
- Collaborate with/oversee activities of volunteers, interns and AmeriCorps Members.
- Obtain materials needed for instruction, following Global Gardens’ purchasing policies.
- Attend planning meetings and trainings as requested.
- Foster and maintain a positive, cooperative and GG-centered work environment in regards to relationships with other GG staff, school staff and the community at large.
- Assist with maintenance and upkeep of garden areas associated with groups taught.
- GED or high-school diploma required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Teaching experience (formal or informal) preferred
- Experience with organic gardening preferred
- Commitment to children’s well-being and belief in their ability to impact our world
- Commitment to student-led and inquiry-based education
- Commitment to peaceful and positive conflict resolution
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff and volunteers
- Spanish language skills a plus
Working Environment: Classroom and garden working environment
To Apply for this Position: Email resume and cover letter to Program Director Symon Hajjar (firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 22, 2019.
Please check back for new opportunities. In the meantime consider volunteering with us. Many of our current staff members started as volunteers (hint, hint).